Klara Rusinsko/Assistant Photo Editor The Physics Outreach Project interacts with community members on Saturday afternoon at the Oakdale Mall. University Day involved many activities designed to encourage interaction with the community outside of BU.

Binghamton University took center stage in the Oakdale Mall on Saturday afternoon to interact with and entertain local children and adults.

Spanning the halls between Zales and Pac-Sun, live music played as University organizations mingled with the mall-goers at the fifth-annual Binghamton University Day at the mall in Johnson City. Organizations representing a variety of the campus population were in attendance, from BU Athletics to the Multicultural Resource Center.

In between shopping, dozens of families with elementary and middle school-aged children stopped by the science booths to experiment with bubbles, Play-Doh and static sticks. At the table run by Nu Rho Psi, the neuroscience honor society, kids could learn about neurons while building their own models using Play-Doh.

“It’s nice to see SUNY reaching out and coming into the community,” said Jennifer Ross, a Binghamton resident. “My kids love the experiments, and they have so much fun University stuff to take home now.”

From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., the main stretch of the mall was turned into a stage on which several student groups performed. From a flute ensemble in the morning to a cappella group the Treblemakers and Binghamton Bhangra later in the day, the mood of the event stayed upbeat and lively.

Across from a photo booth where children and parents snapped pictures with Baxter the Bearcat, student ambassadors handed out tote bags to anyone who completed several of the activities around the event.

“I would definitely say that University does a lot to stay well connected with its surroundings,” said Pamela Ghigliotti, a senior double-majoring in English and theater. “We want the community to be just as much a part of this school as we are.”

Darcy Fauci, the public relations assistant to BU President Harvey Stenger’s chief of staff, helped organize the event. According to her, the University’s relationship with the community has evolved in recent years as BU clubs and ambassadors have worked more in the local area.

“I think there are much closer ties,” Fauci said. “I believe it is the direct result of the University making a concerted effort to reach out to the community around them. Not just with University Day at the mall event, but also with the outreach efforts that involve various groups on campus going into the community to work on projects that have a positive impact.”

Fauci said that the overall turnout for the event was excellent.

“Every table with an activity had someone fully engaged or waiting to participate in the science demonstration or craft project, pretty much for the entire four hours,” Fauci said.

Jason Luna, a resident of Johnson City, said the event was a step to fostering Bearcat pride beyond BU.

“When you see a school and a town like Syracuse, you wonder why Binghamton can’t be more like that,” Luna said. “They all wear orange, so why don’t we wear green?”