Franz Lino/Photo Editor Cody Caho and Stacey Geyer, first-year graduate students studying opera and members of the voice studio of Tom Goodheart, sing in Casadesus Hall. The voice studio performed, along with other musical groups, in the Holiday Mid-Day Concert, an event hosted by the music department in conjunction with the Dean of Students office, for De-Stress December.

With finals approaching and stress levels rising, students are searching for ways to relax and blow off steam. The Dean of Students office is trying to provide just that.

The office has teamed up with the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development, Campus Recreation, Sodexo and the music department, for De-Stress December. With events running from Dec. 1 until the end of finals week, coordinators said they are hoping to provide students with much-needed breaks to relax and relieve stress caused by the pressures of final exams, projects and the end of the semester.

“The goal is to get as many offices and departments on board to coordinate programs and events that are tailored to be an outlet for students as they’re beginning to study for finals,” said Jazell Johnson, the program coordinator.

Study breaks and relaxation are fundamental for a student’s success during finals week, according to Nancy Lamberty, a counselor at the University Counseling Center. She said students need to put aside a minimum of one to two hours per day to relax and take a breather from their studies.

“Good sleep, good nutrition, exercising and relaxation are what the brain needs,” Lamberty said. “Some things like meditation and going for a walk or hike for an hour allow your brain to relax, and to be in the mood, which is what the brain needs. If you keep pushing yourself and keep studying your brain reaches a point where it’s had enough.”

Lamberty said exercise is an efficient way to relieve stress, as it releases anxiety and excess energy. She recommended that students do muscle relaxation exercises while studying, like tensing the muscles in the hands and then letting them go, which is especially beneficial after writing for long periods of time.

Students can also take advantage of the de-stressing events provided by Campus Recreation in the East Gym, such as free group fitness classes and “pool parties” at the pool from Dec. 15 until the end of the week.

A wide range of events are offered by De-Stress December. Johnson said the most popular activities include chair massages, therapy puppies, free coffee at Jazzman’s, Game Night and Donuts with the Dean.

In addition, the REACH (Real Education About College Health) pink car Lulu is driving around campus giving out free stress and sleep kits, which come with eye masks, stress balls, candy, tea and ear plugs. Sodexo is on board as well, providing free soda, ice cream and fruit in the dining halls.

According to Johnson, the most popular event is playing with therapy puppies, planned for Dec. 17 in the Tombs area of Glenn G. Bartle Library, at the bottom of the stairs of the flag room.

“It gets so crowded that many students don’t even get to play with the puppies,” Johnson said. “But puppies on campus just makes everyone so happy.

Elyse Harrison, a sophomore majoring in psychology, said De-Stress December is a good way to sit back and gather the energy needed to take on finals.

“I love being able to grab free fruit or ice cream from the dining hall,” Harrison said. “It’s the perfect reward after a long day of studying.”