Sasha Dolgetta/Contributing Photographer

The Tillman Lobby, Old Union Hall and Mandela Room were transformed into a winter wonderland on Sunday for an afternoon of freebies, food, music and fun at Binghamton University’s sixth annual Frost Fest.

Sponsored by University Lofts and organized by the Student Association Programming Board (SAPB), this year’s theme was Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” and featured themed cups, decorations, T-shirts and a pumpkin-shaped ice sculpture.

According to Mimi Nam, a senior majoring in biology and chairwoman of the Festivals Committee, the goal for Frost Fest was to let students know that the Student Association (SA) wants them to unwind and have a good time in the face of end-of-semester pressure.

“We tried to incorporate a lot of activities for students to do to try and take a break from studying for finals,” Nam said. “We added a lot more inflatables and tried to incorporate more food. We definitely tried to get a lot more student tabling this year to get people interested.”

Activities included a mechanical broomstick-shaped bull, a photo booth, a life-sized snow globe, temporary tattoos, a Build-A-Bear Workshop booth, caricature drawings and a 10-person laser tag course.

After participating in laser tag last year, Collin Milone, a first-year graduate student studying public administration, said the games were a major reason he attended Frost Fest.

“The laser tag was amazing,” Milone said. “It was exciting and it’s intense, but we lost by nine points. I think they should have it every year.”

Nelia Rodriguez, a senior double-majoring in environmental studies and geography, showed off her Build-A-Bear creation and said she tried to take advantage of the day as much as they could.

“I’m having fun,” Rodriguez said. “The food’s good … Build-A-Bear is always fun. I named mine Icey.”

Tables were set up around the perimeter of the festival by SA groups, sponsors and charities who were offering more giveaways and information. Tables included free ice scrapers from University Lofts, cookies from the Student Culinary Association, fondue with Engineers Without Borders and hot cocoa mix from the Alumni Association.

“Who doesn’t love free stuff?” said Kristen Mulvena, a junior majoring in psychology. “I woke up this morning, finished a paper and said ‘Okay, Frost Fest time!’”

Throughout the event, attendees snacked on cupcakes, beverages, fruit and soup provided by Sodexo, rice bowls by Moghul and waited in line for free spiedies from Lupo’s.

The event also featured performances by groups like Evolution Dance, Slam Poetry, Vocal Jazz, the BU Dance Team and Hoop Troop. According to Spencer Rosner, a freshman majoring in integrative neuroscience, the wide range of performances was a good addition to the afternoon.

“I thought all the acts brought something different to the table, something new from each one,” Rosner said. “I liked it all, it was so fun.”

After an afternoon of snacks and fun, students like Sydney Rosen, a sophomore majoring in English, said Frost Fest came at just the right time to unwind from academics.

“I’m looking for any way to procrastinate, and this is so much fun and such a great way to de-stress before finals,” Rosen said. “It’s a nice way to have fun with friends before you have to study.”