Though they don’t see eye to eye on public policy, the College Democrats and the College Republicans can agree on one thing: bringing candidates to campus.

Incumbent State Senator Thomas Libous (R) is vying for his 14th term as the representative for New York’s 52nd district this November, against Democrat Anndrea Starzak.

Members of campus political organizations on both sides of the aisle, as well as faculty, said bringing the two to Binghamton University for a debate would enlighten both the students and the community to issues affecting Binghamton University, Broome County and the rest of the 52nd district.

“There hasn’t really been a public debate,” said Harris Weiss, president of the College Democrats and a junior majoring in political science. “People might know the candidates, they might know the race, but they don’t know comparisons and differences between them because they’ve never shared a stage.”

Starzak has responded to the request about the debate, agreeing to a date sometime next week. Neither Libous nor his office has responded, a common sight for an incumbent, according to Weiss.

“It’s never in the interest of the incumbent to debate,” Weiss said. “All a debate can do is harm them; it gives their opponent name recognition, puts them on equal ground.”

The contenders have participated in two debates, one at the local Rotary Club and the other during a radio show, which some have cited as insufficient exposure to their constituents.

“There was a private event at the Rotary Club, for Rotary Club members and a radio show where there was no audience,” said Jon Krasno, a political science professor at BU. “So the public has never had the opportunity to see these side by side.”

The opportunity for students to see and listen to the politicians running for the University’s local office could be incendiary for political awareness, said Weiss.

“I’m really hoping, if this debate happens, we get a good amount of students to see it, hear about it,” Weiss said. “And say ‘Oh, these politicians are coming to my campus, I should be paying attention to this.’”

College Republicans president Darin Mihalik, a senior majoring in physics, agreed that bringing the candidates to campus would make information more accessible.

“Politics is something that takes a backseat for people,” Mihalik said. “And if you bring it to campus, people are more likely to see it, get involved with it, that’s why I think bringing it to campus is important.”

Hosting the debate on campus would both bring awareness to the students and make the community recognize the campus’ political power, according to Krasno.

“How many times have we seen politicians on campus?” Krasno said. “They think it doesn’t matter what happens, because students will never vote, the campus will be ignored. The locals in general treat the campus like a zoo; they drive through, see the animals, but they don’t touch them.”