Between tours, speeches and professional networking, Bearcats new and old will have plenty to look forward to this Homecoming Weekend before the Binghamton University soccer team kicks off against Vermont on Saturday night.

According to Steve Seepersaud, communications manager of Alumni Relations, Homecoming Weekend is the biggest on-campus event offered for alumni each year. It gives students and staff the opportunity to make connections and seek advice from alumni. Graduates get the opportunity to relive their college memories, see old faces and experience campus changes.

“You hear testimonials of connections that form, the results that were achieved where somebody gets a job or an internship or something as a result of coming to the event and meeting someone,” Seepersaud said.

Francis Borrego, senior assistant director of Marketing and Assessment for the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD), said that students should be proactive when meeting alumni.

“We are encouraging all students to make connections, to just go out and network,” Borrego said. “Take advantage of opportunities and meet with different alumni, hear their stories, how they went from BU to their world of work they’re in.”

At the tailgate Saturday afternoon, students can listen to free live music in the Events Center parking lot while meeting other generations of Bearcats.

“Tailgate is the culminating event,” said Kevin Lobdell, associate director of Alumni Relations. “When we’re building the schedule, we try not to have anything else overlapping with tailgate. That’s really an opportunity where every school department, student organization, alumni group, anyone who wants to be there and have a presence, they can all do that at tailgate.”

According to Assistant Athletics Communications Director David O’Brian, the average attendance for the tailgate has been nearly 2,200 since 2008. BU is inviting back the 2004 women’s soccer team for the halftime ceremony, in honor of winning the America East title 10 years ago.

“It’s really exciting to see all of the alumni sharing how successful they are and about the great things they’re doing post-Binghamton,” said Marisa Varanelli, a junior double-majoring in psychology and human development. “It makes me excited for how my Binghamton education will help me in the real world.”

According to Seepersaud, one addition to the 13th homecoming is a speaker event called TIER Talks, where faculty and alumni weigh in on a variety of topics. This year’s topic is titled “Rethinking Success: Thriving in the Modern World,” and speakers are asked to offer new perspectives on how students and graduates should view success.

“The main goal is engagement; the desire to get people engaged with the University is really at the mission of everything the Alumni Association does,” Seepersaud said. “It’s a lifelong relationship. It’s not, you came here for four years, get your degree and go back to wherever you call home.”

According to Borrego, the CCPD’s most anticipated event will be the dedication ceremony for the Fleishman Career Center on Saturday, recognizing Steven Fleishman and Judith Garczynski. Their donation allowed the CCPD to move from the library basement to its current location near the Marketplace and update its facilities.