Duncan McInnes/Staff Photographer College-in-the-Woods’ Cayuga Hall will be closed for the 2015-2016 academic year while undergoing upgrades. The building has remained virtually untouched since opening in 1969.

Beginning this summer, Cayuga Hall will be the first building in College-in-the-Woods to undergo major repairs, and will be closed for the 2015-2016 academic year.

According to Paola Mignone, the associate director of business affairs for Residential Life, the residential halls in CIW have remained almost completely unaltered since they first opened in 1969.

Mignone said that practical renovations will include mechanical, plumbing and electrical repairs, which would make the buildings run more efficiently. Aesthetic renovations are planned, and include door replacements, new flooring and freshly-painted walls.

Lev Pravda, a sophomore majoring in political science, is a first-time Cayuga resident and said he noticed large differences, including unkempt bathrooms, between CIW and other residential communities on the University’s campus.

“There’s a huge disparity between the amenities in other dorms and what we have here,” Pravda said. “You could tell that the dorm is a little dated.”

After Cayuga, a different building will be closed each year for renovations until all have been upgraded. Although there will be one less dorm for CIW residents to choose, Mignone said no students will be required to move out of the residential community due to lack of space.

“Students who sign up during Priority 7 will be guaranteed to live in CIW next year,” Mignone wrote. “Priority 7 is to fill a different suite or corridor-style double room in the same community as the group leader. If your group signs up in Priority 7, you are guaranteed to be able to return to CIW. We are confident that students who currently live in CIW who want to live with other CIW residents will have no problem remaining in CIW.”

According to Mignone, other living communities will not be affected by the renovation.

“We currently have many vacancies throughout campus and our projections predict that other CIW halls (as well as other residential areas) will be able to absorb the decrease in capacity caused by closing Cayuga for one year,” Mignone wrote.

Sahar Pakravan, a freshman majoring in biochemistry and a resident of Cayuga, said she’s nervous that her housing options will be limited next year.

“Our closest friendships are in this building so now that we’re going to have to separate based on our preferences,” Pakravan said. “It’s a little sad.”

Joele Rivera, a freshman majoring in engineering, said he is disappointed that he has to move out Cayuga.

“I love it,” Rivera said. “It’s so social, and I’m so close with my floor. I still want to live in CIW but it’s not the same; this is my home.”

Update: due to an increase in freshmen enrollment, Cayuga will remain open for the 2015-2016 academic year.