Lydia Fletcher/Contributing Photographer Harold Lewis, associate professor and Systems Science graduate director, presents at a meet-and-greet hosted by the System Science and Industrial Engineering (SSIE) department. The event provided students with an opportunity to meet professors and learn about research options.

The Systems Science and Industrial Engineering (SSIE) department at Binghamton University held a meet-and-greet event Wednesday afternoon for students to learn more about class and research opportunities, as well as the professors in charge.

The goal of SSIE at Binghamton is to improve aspects of society, from healthcare to manufacturing, and make them more efficient and innovative. The department focuses on methods of taking complex systems and problems, and creating simple and beneficial solutions.

SSIE Chair professor Nagen Nagarur said that the department offers programs for both undergraduate and graduate students, but that the Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering (BS ISE) is particularly renowned.

“The BS ISE program is probably the most valued undergrad industrial engineering program in the country,” Nagarur said.

According to Nagaur, who researches micro electronic components, quality control and supply chain modelling, the program initially had seven students in 2001, but has grown to house over 80 participants. The program now secures over $2.5 million in research funding per year and works with 24 federal and industrial sponsors.

Daryl Santos, director of the Integrated Electronics Engineering Center (IEEC) and vice-provost for diversity, described his projects within the SSIE with researchers and students from around the world.

“Most of the projects I work in are currently with graduate students in electronics packaging research,” Santos said. “Some of that is through the Watson Institute for Systems Excellence and also through the IEEC. I recently concluded a year-long activity between undergrads in our department with undergrads at the ISE department at the Korea Advanced Institute for Science and Technology.”

Erin Hornbeck, assistant to the SSIE Chair, said the event brought members closer together.

“For students not familiar with the professors, and especially the four new professors added just this fall, it was a great opportunity to learn about research opportunities and the new areas of expertise now available in the department,” she said.

Santos said that as the program continues to grow it will continue to improve, which could possibly engineer some improvements for the University as a whole.

“We are continuing to improve our program in the hopes that we will, within the next five years or so, become a top-25 or better program in all major metrics,” Santos said.