Old University Union room 102 was bursting with pink on Sunday in celebration of Breast Cancer Awareness month as students gathered to raise money for charity.
The room was filled with pink balloons, streamers, cupcakes and bracelets as volunteers wearing pink t-shirts affixed pink hair extensions at an event held for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.
The event was organized by Dickinson Community resident assistants Ashley Ragusa and Michele Logan. Ragusa, a senior majoring in psychology, said they chose the Susan G. Komen Foundation because of where the proceeds would go.
“We decided on Susan G. Komen since it is a well-known, respected charity and is very active, and because all of the proceeds will go to Susan G. Komen of the Twin Tier Region, which means the money will be donated locally, with 75 percent of the money going to help with breast cancer patients in the local area, while the other 25 percent will be sent to Susan G. Komen Nationals,” Ragusa said.
According to Ragusa, the event started 30 minutes early because people just started walking in. Within that time, 60 hair extensions were sold at $10 a piece in addition to the 160 sold at $8 a piece for those signed up in advance. Some attendees also donated $20 for a single cupcake that only cost $1. In total, the event raised $1790 for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
Sponsors and donors of the event included Binghamton Residential Life, Binghamton Dean of Students, Number 5 Restaurant, Uptown Styles and Spa, Chroma Cafe and Bakery, Portobello Row and Cost Cutters.
The businesses donated services, supplies and gift cards. Chroma Café and Bakery donated 10 dozen cupcakes and Cost Cutters styled each person’s hair for free.
CJ Scharfenstein, manager of the University Plaza Cost Cutters, said they got involved with the event to give back.
“It feels good to be involved because my aunt just passed away for breast cancer,” Scharfenstein said. “We’re involved in every breast cancer event because we believe in giving back, and we never say no to helping out.”
Since this event fell on BU’s Family Weekend, both parents and students sat to have pink hair extensions put into their hair. Throughout the event, free $5 gift cards from Cost Cutters were given out to every person in attendance.
Emma Dombkowski, an undeclared sophomore, said she was glad they held an event like this on campus.
“I got a hair extension because people see it and know it’s for Breast Cancer Awareness month, it makes them think,” Dombkowski said.
While attendees enjoyed the event and the donated items, such as cupcakes and bracelets, the Binghamton Ballroom Dance Crew and Rhythm Method, a Binghamton a cappella group, performed in front of a screen that displayed facts and statistics about breast cancer.
Vicki Chan, a volunteer from the Student Volunteer Center and a sophomore majoring in financial economics, said she came out to support a cause that hits home.
“I decided to volunteer because I knew someone with cancer, and I think it’s a great cause, and I’m happy that everyone around is so spirited,” Chan said.
Ragusa said she believes that because October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, it is an especially important time for women to educate themselves about the facts surrounding breast cancer.
“Breast cancer is something that can affect every women so early detection is something I feel strongly about along with also raising money to find a cure for this disease which impacts so many lives,” Ragusa said.