Feeling hungry? You know what time it is: Binghamton’s fall 2017 Restaurant Week. During this biannual event, restaurants in the city offer three course fixed-price meals, with options for lunch and dinner. Our staff has sampled burgers, pastas, and tacos galore to find out what you should — and shouldn’t — bite into, so take advantage of all the deals available this week and use them as an excuse to venture Downtown before the bars open. Pipe Dream’s guide to Restaurant Week is fit with options for all tastes and budgets and we hope you’ll share your own reviews with us and your fellow readers. Restaurant Week runs until Thursday, Sept. 28.

Upon arrival, you’re greeted a large and sturdy wooden bar, and a dining room filled with round wooden tables and English-style pub chairs. On an exposed red-brick wall that runs the length of the dining room, there are photos showcasing early 20th century Binghamton, and hammered-copper pendent lights outfitted with Edison bulbs hang from the ceiling. The mix of rustic and contemporary items makes for a homey yet refined experience.

Read more

The main course offers a choice between rigatoni a la vodka, sloppy joe, chicken tamale pie and seasonal organic greens. I got the rigatoni a la vodka, their signature dish, which is made with garlic and tomatoes flamed in vodka, with cream, fresh basil and grated cheese. While the house salad was just adequate, the rigatoni was splendid.

Read more

The shining star of the entrees was the mysteriously-named, “The Plate.” It consisted of a pile of fries topped with guacamole, pico de gallo, WSBC “secret sauce,” beer queso and Buffalo chicken (there was also the option of a burger instead of the chicken). The guacamole and pico de gallo gave the dish a fresh take on the “loaded fries” genre and it worked fantastically, making this dish both unique and delicious.

Read more

We sampled the roasted chicken-and-vegetable sandwich, which featured zucchini and squash, some vegetables that aren’t normally found on sandwiches. The texture and taste of the zucchini and squash added a surprising and delicious contrast to the toasty ciabatta bread and the Sriracha mayonnaise. The potato chips on the side were almost as good as the sandwich — perfectly salted and so thin that they practically melted in my mouth.

Read more

Social on State has earned a reputation for being just that — a social way to eat. Restaurant Week is no different, only a little cheaper. Adventurous eaters and those who stick to the safe side of things will both find pleasing options on the menu, but either way, the best way to eat here is certainly to go with someone else and split the small dishes in its intimate atmosphere.

Read more

Walking into Alexander’s Cafe feels a little bit like coming home after a long journey. The restaurant, located in an odd corner of Downtown Binghamton on Chenango Street across from The Printing House, seems unassuming at first glance; but for those that are willing to travel off the beaten path, this cafe holds some seriously good food.

Read more

The tofu was well-seasoned and complemented the cabbage and radish with which it was served. The chipotle and adobo made the tacos a little spicier than I may have been prepared for, but add much-needed flavor too. We were similarly impressed by the cauliflower tacos, but for those with an aversion toward spicy food, be sure to order without the jalapenos. The portions were generous, with three well-stuffed tacos per plate. It was almost difficult to finish all three, but thankfully, we were successful.

Read more

For Restaurant Week, Number 5 has selected some of the best of their expansive (and expensive) menu for $30. Although the price point is at the higher end, it’s a great deal for the caliber of food they offer—some entrees alone are more than that it costs for the three courses for dinner this week. Even from the short list, it was hard to choose just one dish for each of the courses.

Read more

Whole in the Wall is committed to using natural ingredients and accommodating a range of dietary needs, and the staff saves food scraps from the kitchen to incorporate them into soups for Salvation Army food lines. The dishes there are both nourishing and millennial-friendly — they could just as easily come from a quirky San Francisco food truck as from your grandmother’s kitchen.

Read more

As an American bistro, the restaurant serves traditional dishes like steak, seafood, and fries, but surprises guests with ingredients that blend and complement each other quite nicely. The restaurant is decorated with full-length windows in the dining room, geometric furniture and plants which give it a sleek, modern interior. Along with the contemporary instrumental music playing in the background, the restaurant’s vibe is good for family, friends and even a romantic date.

Read more

Binghamton Hots offers food that’s best paired with good company and no reluctance in leaving a clean plate. The late-night hot spot is home to everyone’s favorite midnight snacks, but few realize that its doors open at 11:30 a.m. for lunch. For Restaurant Week, Binghamton Hots is offering a lunch of their house favorites for $12.

Read more

At first glance, the House of Reardon does not look like anything special. From the outside, it appears tiny and is definitely not the nicest looking building in the world. Determined not to judge this book by its cover, I decided I would wait to see what my experience was like inside the establishment before I make my final verdict, and I’m glad I did; it exceeded my expectations.

Read more

For the main entree, I ordered the eggplant parmigiana, which came with a small bowl of house made spaghetti on the side. The spaghetti noodles were thick and covered in a delicious house-made marinara sauce. The sauce was slightly sweet, which countered the acidity of the tomatoes and made it a perfectly balanced, hearty dish. I can’t think of anything that would have made the spaghetti better.

Read more