Emma Wright/ Assistant Photo Editor

Binghamton University freshman and College-in-the-Woods Cayuga Hall resident Corey Mattison died in Utica last week over spring break. Mattison, 18, was found dead at his home last Tuesday following what was reportedly a night of heavy drinking.

“We were very shocked to hear of Corey Mattison’s untimely passing,” said Rodger Summers, vice president for Student Affairs, in a statement issued through a spokeswoman. “Corey’s death is a tragic loss to our campus community.”

Despite the brevity of his time here at Binghamton, Mattison had managed to develop strong friendships, as is apparent from the at least 24 posts that have been made posthumously on the “wall,” or comment board, of Mattison’s Facebook.com profile.

In addition, the flag at CIW has remained at half-mast for the past week and an impromptu memorial vigil was held Thursday night in the lounge of Cayuga Hall’s fifth floor, where Mattison lived.

Organized and led by friend and floormate Brad Hart, the vigil attracted close to 50 students, and spilled out each of the lounge’s two side doors.

Hart, a junior transfer student who said he has known Mattison since their first day at Binghamton, was one of the first people to be contacted with news of Mattison’s death.

“It fell on me to call everyone [at Binghamton],” Hart said. “I’ve been kind of a liaison.”

According to Hart, Mattison had been at a party drinking with friends on the night of Monday, March 13. He returned home early Tuesday morning, where he is believed to have vomited in his sleep, resulting in asphyxiation.

“I spoke to him the day before he passed away,” Hart said. “But the last time I saw him, what I consider the last time, I helped him bring his stuff up to Mountainview where he was getting a ride. I hugged him and said goodbye.”

Mattison’s funeral was held the following Saturday, and was attended by over 1,500 people, including Summers and other members of the campus community.

The grief was apparent during Mattison’s on-campus memorial, which was attended by many of his friends, who, Hart said, Mattison regarded as family. Several in attendance recounted brief anecdotes in a mix of admiration and bereavement for their friend, whom several referred to as a “brother.”

“Everything he attempted, he excelled at,” said one such mourner, who implored those around him to “make the best of the situation,” as he said Mattison always had.

“Corey was the best person I have ever known,” said freshman Anila Choudhury, Mattison’s girlfriend. “He was … my first love, my first everything. Corey changed my life … and I’m a better person for knowing him.”

Hart spoke of Mattison’s passion for politics and defense of small businesses.

“Wal-Mart doesn’t know how close they came to having to deal with their worst nightmare — a man with unquenchable ideals and a strong work ethic who couldn’t be bought for any price,” he said.

Mattison was on delayed admission to Cornell University, where he planned on attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations. He learned he had been accepted before spring break.

According to Summers, Mattison’s family is planning a larger memorial service on campus in early May and is also considering the establishment of a scholarship in his memory.

As students lit candles in somber reflection, Mattison’s favorite song, Pennywise’s “Brohymn,” was played during the memorial, as it had been during his funeral.

Not many people sang along to the seemingly tailor-made punk rock anthem of brotherhood, itself an elegiac testament to lost friendship, save Hart, who emotionally attempted to sing along to the song’s chorus, near tears.

“I mourn not for Corey,” said Hart toward the end of the service, “but for those who never had a chance to get to know him and have him affect their lives.”