Sen. Hillary Clinton is urging four corporations affiliated with the Serbian Basketball Federation to sever ties with the organization in light of Miladin ‘Minja’ Kovacevic’s wanted prosecution.

In a press release issued Wednesday, Clinton called on four prime sponsors of the Serbian Basketball Federation, who also deal with business in the United States, to cut connections with the league as long as Kovacevic is playing.

Kovacevic, a 20-year-old former Binghamton University basketball player and a Serbian national, signed a contract over the summer to play basketball in Serbia.

“Bryan [Steinhauer] remains in the hospital fighting each day to recover while Mr. Kovacevic continues to skirt justice, living freely and playing basketball in Serbia,” Clinton stated in the release. “As I have said before, Mr. Kovacevic must face prosecution.”

“The companies should not be supporting the Serbian Basketball Federation until it removes Mr. Kovacevic from the basketball court to face justice immediately,” the statement reads.

Clinton sent letters to AND 1, Efes Breweries International, Hemofarm International and BasicNet S.p.A., in which she asked the corporations to wield their influence over the league in hopes of securing Kovacevic’s dismissal.

The 6-foot-9, 260-pound Kovacevic is wanted in connection with the May 4 beating of Steinhauer at the Rathskeller Pub on State Street Downtown. Steinhauer, 22, who was 130 pounds and a BU senior at the time of the attack, has just recently emerged from a coma.

Three days after being released from Broome County jail on $100,000 bail, on the condition that he’d surrender his passport, Kovacevic fled the country using an emergency document obtained with the help of Serbian diplomats.

Earlier this month Serbian officials arrested Igor Milosevic, who previously acted as a diplomat for the country, on grounds of suspicion that he issued an emergency passport to Kovacevic knowing the action was illegal. The former will spend at least 30 days in jail while authorities investigate the case.

The incident has strained relations between the United States and Serbia, which maintains that it does not allow extradition of its citizens.

Both Clinton and Sen. Charles Schumer have urged the Serbian government to return Kovacevic, but the country failed to do so within a 10-day deadline that ended Aug. 1.

The United States also reportedly offered the former BU basketball player a plea bargain, which would have left him with 12 years in prison and a guilty plea to charges of assault and evading justice, but Kovacevic turned it down.

— Information from The Associated Press.