With the exception of dates and tippers, cheaper is almost always better. So why waste that hard-earned cash on a store bought costume? Try one of these for a unique and budget-friendly way to enjoy the wholesome upcoming Halloween festivities.

Nerd … “Dexter’s Laboratory” never looked so good

Start by slicking back your hair. Next, get some pants that are too short and tight, a white shirt, white tube socks, dress shoes, pocket protector with pens or calculator and plastic glasses that are taped in the middle so they look broken. If you’re feeling adventurous, add some suspenders or a cheap belt for added style. And carrying a nerdy business card with your phone number would really be a smooth move.

Convict … Another way to use those handcuffs?

Take a trip to the Salvation Army for an orange jumpsuit, or find orange pants and a shirt and write “Department of BU Corrections” across the back. Don’t shower — it will make the look more authentic.

Tourist … Not for the camera shy

Any obnoxious Hawaiian floral shirt will work. Combine with khaki shorts or pants, Velcro sandals or walking sneakers and wear a lei or camera around your neck. Add some Nicole Richie-style sunglasses and a straw hat to the mix and you will be an authentically annoying tourist. Watch out for street vendors who will try to rip you off, being that you don’t know the language or the culture.

Girl Scout … Be the top cookie seller

For the camp leader, find a navy dress or pencil skirt and top combo, and pin a yellow ribbon on the chest. Pull your hair back and wear heels. For a Girl Scout, start with braided pigtails and a green beret. Then tie a white shirt and wear a short green skirt. Glue two pieces of green fabric together for the sash, and make some of your own creative merit badges. No shortage of possibilities there.

Referee … Much cuter than Sporty Spice

Start with a ponytail and black baseball hat. Then find a black and white striped shirt, or make your own by cutting a white tee and adding stripes. Pair with a whistle, black shorts and black knee socks and heels or sneakers.

’80s singer … Actual singing optional. Vocal talent was as obsolete in the ’80s as it is now, so give it a try.

Break out the lacy gloves, plastic bracelets and layered strands of chunky necklaces. Pile them on with a cut shirt or bra top, leggings or leg warmers, spiked heels and complete the look with any teased hairstyle. Now go make Madonna proud.

“Gilligan’s Island” Cast … More fun than a three-hour tour

This one needs four people: two girls and two guys. The Skipper wears a black captain’s hat, blue polo shirt, khaki pants and brown loafers. Gilligan wears a white floppy hat, red long-sleeved polo, blue pants and white sneakers. Ginger wears a red wig and lipstick, dramatic make-up, gold slinky dress and heels. For Mary Ann, knot a red and white checked shirt and pair with pigtails, blue cropped pants and tennis sneakers.