Binghamton University’s department of art and design welcomes back Kirsten Moran, an alumna from the class of 1995, for a showing of her project, “Hold and See.”

Moran’s collection of paintings touch solely upon the interconnected nature of women through the physical body, earthly terrain and natural psyche. Moran created her collection to represent the different aspects of women in order to provide a physical representation of these links.

“Each painting conveys an aspect of the feminine psyche: mother, queen, warrior, lover, seeker, and more,” Moran said in the event invitation. “These are the archetypes that bind us together, through our individual narratives …”

Natalija Mijatovic, the chair of the art and design department, believes Moran’s work acknowledges the transitional aspects of roles that are not only relatable to women in general, but also to the students of BU.

“I think that the theme of her work is very current in the way it addresses our identity and roles, which are formed, strengthened and challenged during the college years,” Mijatovic wrote.

Moran received her bachelor’s degree in cinema from BU before moving forward and earning a master of fine arts degree from Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah, Georgia. Since then, Moran has been teaching at the College of Charleston and her work has been featured in a number of solo exhibitions, including one at the Fahm Hall Gallery in Savannah titled “Ruin,” and one at the Beverly Street Studio School in Staunton, Virginia, titled “Mirror.”

During this time, however, Moran has not remained a stranger to the Binghamton area. Her work appeared in the juried Alumni Art Show Exhibition hosted by the Binghamton University Art Museum in 2014, which reignited the connection between the artist and the Binghamton department of art and design. According to Mijatovic, the department hopes to make Homecoming alumni exhibitions a tradition.

“We want to know about your future endeavors, and be the first to celebrate your professional success,” Mijatovic wrote, placing a call to alumni.

Moran will also be present for a gallery talk on Monday, Sept. 26 at 5 p.m. in the Elsie B. Rosefsky Memorial Art Gallery. During this event, students and community members will have the opportunity to meet with Moran to ask questions and discuss her work. The paintings will remain available for viewing in the gallery until Thursday, Oct. 20.

“Art is a powerful generator of creativity in other fields, and Department of Art and Design provides platform for cross-pollinating discourse for majors and non-majors alike,” Mijatovic wrote. “This is a wonderful opportunity to experience great painting, as it is practiced by a professional artist, who stemmed from Binghamton University.”

The exhibition’s reception will be hosted by the art department on Saturday, Sept. 24 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Rosefsky Gallery located in room 259 of the Fine Arts Building.