John Shearer/AP Photo

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recently announced that “Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane will host the 85th Academy Awards. Upon hearing the news, MacFarlane responded with, “One, I will do my utmost to live up to the high standards set forth by my predecessors; and two, I hope they don’t find out I hosted the Charlie Sheen roast.”

In the last couple of years, the Oscars have not lived up to previous standards with their host choices. Two years ago, Anne Hathaway and James Franco famously bombed. While Franco seemed somewhere between high and comatose, Hathaway had a “trying-too-hard” attitude with a smile slapped on her face from beginning to end, making her seem inauthentic. For the 2012 awards, nine-time host Billy Crystal graced the stage. Yet Crystal and his jokes were safe and dated.

This time around, things will actually be good in the newly renamed Dolby Theatre.

Seth MacFarlane is, for lack of better words, a modern renaissance man in the world of entertainment. He’s an actor, director, writer, animator, producer and he can sing to boot. First, let’s start with the obvious — “Family Guy.” MacFarlane created the hilarious and notorious animated sitcom in 1998, performing the voices for multiple characters including Peter, Quagmire and, of course, Stewie. Since 1998, Family Guy has been consistently popular and, in the last decade, its characters and comic style have become part of pop culture.

In addition to “Family Guy,” MacFarlane can be credited with “American Dad,” “The Cleveland Show” and, most recently, “Ted.” “Ted,” MacFarlane’s directorial debut on the big screen, marked a breakthrough for MacFarlane as he wrote, directed and provided the voice for the star in the film. “Ted” introduced MacFarlane to Hollywood in a major way, earning over $434 million worldwide. The movie’s success has now made him into one of the most sought-after talents in the business.

Aside from his credits, MacFarlane has a real chance to do well on the Oscar stage for the reason that he is simply good on stage. Take a look at his SNL monologue from a few weeks ago. Not only is he comfortable and easily able to land laughs, but he also showcased his singing — who doesn’t love a good musical number? — and impression abilities — and not just “Family Guy” characters. His ease when performing will hopefully translate to the Academy Awards ceremony in a way that the charisma of past hosts hasn’t.

With all of these skills, it is pretty obvious that MacFarlane has the chops. Now all we can do is hope for a fast-paced good time. Giggity.